Something like Gypsies

One newly uprooted family and their modern gypsy-like adventures, sprinkled with a wild baking-itch, and an obsession with crafts and projects.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Bully

Watched the "Bully" documentary in a class today. Made me think of things. I was never really bullied, as a kid, not the way i saw it. My brother was. I was only around once when it happened. I couldn't keep my mouth shut like he did. I don't know how he had the fortitude to keep his mouth shut. The guy pushed my brother off a train loading dock, so I pushed him off. When he said false & stupid things about my brother, I called him an idiot. I never kept my mouth shut- it was my weapon: turn everything they say back on them, or consent to what they say with dripping sarcasm. Even if I didn't know what they were talking about. Once a kid on the bus told me I had dandruff. I didn't know what it was, but I called him an idiot and told him I didn't use that kind of shampoo. I was so convinced that I think even he was confused. But that was the extent to which I •may• have been picked on. I had a sharp tongue. I didn't let people pick on my younger brother, either. I warned the bullies away from him because he had a temper; it was "for their own good", I told them. I'd get in the way of any kid trying to bully. Once I told a kid I would kick his ass if he didn't leave a kid alone. I felt bad using that language, but I needed to sound tough. The kid bent over and said "go ahead". His mistake. I made good on my threat and sent him sprawling. I knew how to handle playground dynamics, and Junior High and High School werent problems as far as bullying went.

Now, I'm a mom of 3. My oldest is finishing her first year of school (kinder). The last week or so, the Kinder's have been let on the playground with the other grades...and my daughter has been bullied. I am a protector. Not "protective" in the stuffy sense that I never let my children climb trees and test their limits. I am one that seeks to protect against injustice and those situations that one may not be equipped for handling oneself. And I struggle with how to equip and protect my daughter from bullies. I can't teach her the tactics I used because they are unnatural to her personality. She is not defensive the way I am. So, how do I protect her? Especially in a way that doesn't look like her mommy's protecting her? The yard duty personnel have alot of kids to look after. She's young, but she still doesn't tell me all that happens. I guess I may have to take advantage of the "visitor passes".

No comments: